29 March 2015

Multiplied

For the past few months, there's been a song that I just can't get enough of--Multiplied by Needtobreathe.  I listen to it on repeat at home, I listen to it on repeat in the car, and I find myself humming the first few lines on a fairly regular basis.  As I was thinking about this today, I wondered what it was about this song that just won't quit, and I realized that as much as I love the music of the song, I've never taken time to truly reflect on the lyrics.  So this evening I've taken some time to do that.

Your love is like radiant diamonds
Bursting inside us we cannot contain
Your love will surely come find us
Like blazing wild fires singing Your name


God of mercy sweet love of mine
I have surrendered to Your design
May this offering stretch across the skies
And these Halleluiahs be multiplied

The first thing that resonates with me is the sense of hope contained in the first few lines.  I'm not sure that's even the best way to describe it, but I think what gets me is the reminder that the sheer depth and breadth of God's love has nothing to do with who we are, but everything to do with who He is.  His love IS radiant, we CAN'T contain it, and it DOES seek us out.  There is great hope in that--and great relief--that our mistakes don't change God's character or His heart.  Despite our sin and ability to "cloud the lens" sometimes, the radiance of His love remains brilliant. 

I also love the idea of the last line of the chorus, as it sums up the essence of the song.  Co-songwriter Bo Rinehart said this:  

“The first line from my favorite hymn sings these words: ‘The Love of God is greater far than tongue or pen can ever tell.’ If we spent the rest of our life singing Hallelujahs, it still wouldn't amount to what God truly deserves,” says Bo. “I need God, even in worship, to help make what little I have to offer worthy of him. This song is a prayer. ‘May this offering stretch across the skies and these Hallelujahs be multiplied.’ Also, God cannot be contained. He has no limits. Then, couldn't God use us to spark his exponential ripple effect into motion that could change the entire world? ‘May these Hallelujahs be multiplied!’”
from http://www.wordlabelgroup.com/needtobreathe

I love the idea of our Hallelujahs being multiplied, because he's right!  No amount of time would be enough for us to give God the praise He deserves, and we can simply pray that as our words feebly attempt to convey what our minds and hearts know, our praise will be multiplied and used for His glory here on earth.  

Over lunch today, three of us were talking about the new heaven and new earth God will create someday.  We discussed ways we've always pictured it and compared those to things we know from Scripture.  I think our conclusion was that we just can't even imagine what is in store for those who know Him!  We wondered about ways in which will be able to worship, and about how as we store up treasures in heaven and add "jewels to our crowns" so to speak, during our lives here on earth, that it will be something so different from how we might perceive those ideas on earth.  Our stored treasures, our jewels, our hallelujahs, will simply be greater gifts we can offer to the King in worship--and oh how we pray he will multiply those as well!

As we've entered this week between Palm Sunday and Easter, it's one more reminder of God's great love for us.  My prayer is that as I contemplate that, and what His death and resurrection truly mean for me, for ALL of us, that I will approach God with a thankful heart.  That I'll sing His Hallelujahs, and that they'll be multiplied to be evidence of His radiant love, mercy, and saving grace.


No comments:

Post a Comment